Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Winter Warmer

This is the reason why I asked the potato man at Marylebone Farmers' Market what's good for mash. (Answer: Lady Balfour). Mash pie.

A Nigel Slater recipe. Layer of mash with a layer of caramelised onions, black pepper and crumbled Stilton topped with another layer of mash and Parmesan cheese. Baked in the oven for about 25 minutes. I mess around with the pie filling - different cheeses and vegetables. Sautéed mushrooms are good as are leeks or spinach. Crispy bacon bits wouldn't go amiss either. Serve with something green.

7 Comments:

Blogger a.c.t. said...

That looks fantastic. I am jelaous, you have the Le Creuset but in (what looks like) baby blue, mine's dark blue. I used to be against messing with mash and would take the piss out of Mike for going on about cheesy mash - well, I caved in last night and made it to accompany his home made beef and guiness pie which wasn't at all bad. So from now on it's potatoe and cheese all the way...

12:43 PM  
Blogger ems said...

Beef and Guinness pie with cheesey mash - yum!. I love my Le Creuset - it's grey. Granite technically I think.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

That looks wonderful! Would you let us nick it for Bagger's Biscuit? (Sorry, Beggar's Banquet)

7:22 PM  
Blogger ems said...

Wrinkled weasel _ I'm honoured you've asked. Of course you may. Let me know if I need to do something to help.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Are the green bits greens? As in "greens"? I love them, but I can't seem to get them right... how do you cook them? Do you remove the stalks? (I think that was my mistake last time... I didn't) Do you boil and sauté with garlic?

1:18 AM  
Blogger City Slicker said...

When am I invited over? That looks too delicious

1:56 AM  
Blogger ems said...

Red - I do cut the stalks off and then steam the greens. (The only thing I boil is potato). We had them plain this time around but I have sautéed them with garlic. Depending on what you're eating them with caraway seeds are good too.

CS - give me a few months to move and you're more than welcome to dinner!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home